Second degree and housing allowance as financial support

This is also not dependent on whether they actually receive bafog. § section 20 of the housing allowance act (wogg) stipulates that the bafog requirement already includes a portion for housing costs. An exception bafog and housing allowance to receive, however, if the bafog is drawn as a bank loan.

Housing subsidy

The housing allowance is a state aid, which can be applied for by persons with low financial means. Certain income limits are used as a basis. The amount of the housing subsidy for students is therefore based on the income of the persons living in the household and the amount of rent to be paid. Housing allowance is applied for at the responsible housing allowance office of the city or district. The housing allowance is also known as a rent subsidy. If the recipient of the housing allowance owns his or her own home, this is an encumbrance allowance.

Requirements for the housing allowance for students

Students cannot receive a housing allowance, even if they are studying for a second degree, if they are already receiving bafog. However, exceptions are also possible here. Housing allowance and bafog may be granted side by side if the student is mentioned in a rental agreement as the main, secondary or subtenant, respectively. Students who share an apartment with other roommates who are not, or not all, recipients of bafog can therefore apply for housing subsidies.

In addition, students who, for example, live together with a partner in a residential and economic community, can receive housing allowance and bafog side by side. It is necessary that the household and the economy are shared. There must be a so-called "economic community". In order to receive housing allowance, however, at least one member of the household must not be entitled to bafog, vocational training allowance or training allowance. In addition, it may not receive any other social benefits, in which a housing allowance is already included.

If the student lives with children, siblings or other relatives in an economic community and these persons are not in a training relationship, the entire household can receive housing allowance, even if bafog is received.

No housing allowance for members of a shared apartment

However, this does not apply to shared apartments, as these are not to be regarded as a joint economic community. For students living in shared apartments (WG), claims for housing allowance must be assessed for each individual resident. Students who live in a WG in which all residents are entitled to bafog "on the merits" are exempt from receiving housing allowance for students.

Bafog as a bank loan

Since 2009, students can apply for housing allowance if they receive bafog entirely as a loan. This applies in particular to graduates of second degree programs who receive bafog as a full loan. Bank loans can also replace the state subsidy after a change of specialization or exceeding the maximum subsidy period.

Housing allowance for foreign students

Foreign students usually only have a limited period of residence. You are therefore not entitled to receive bafog and can therefore apply for housing allowance. However, this is subject to certain conditions. Foreign students must not have existing support, such as a scholarship. In addition, they must prove that they are permanently separated from the parental home.

Apply for housing subsidies

Students who are not sure whether they are entitled to a housing allowance as a graduate of a second degree program can still apply for housing allowance. The housing allowance office decides on this application and determines whether an entitlement exists.

If none of the aforementioned reasons for exclusion apply, a housing allowance application can be submitted to the housing allowance office of the city or county. For this purpose, a completely filled out application, a valid ID, the registration confirmation, a rental certificate of the landlord including year of construction and size of the apartment, the rental contract and a proof of income are required. The housing allowance office will probably still ask for documentation on the applicant's family and financial circumstances. This includes proof of financial circumstances, of the granting of maintenance, child benefit or bafog.

After all documents have been submitted, the wohngeldstelle (housing allowance office) examines the application and decides in a notice whether the student will be granted housing allowance. The amount of the housing allowance depends on the size of the apartment, the rent to be paid and any existing income of the student. Therefore, no information about this can be given at this point.